What are room dehumidifiers? Is damp mounting up on the walls of your room? Certain elements make your home or office quite so unpleasant. Whether you have moisture problem or damp comes from your cooking or drying laundry indoors, the result may be an awful musty smell, mold rising on your walls and a greater risk of breathing problem.To sort out a serious damp problem, great amount of time is required.So what should be done in the meantime? One answer is to invest in a room dehumidifier which is an electronic device that eliminates moisture from the surrounding air.
Today, dehumidifiers have become an important appliance for offices and homes. Along with keeping you comfortable, a dehumidifier can also stop serious damage to your place that can be caused by extreme humidity in the air.
Humidity density must be between approximately 30-50% for ideal health in the home according to the department of health. A dehumidifier can help to normalize the humidity and eliminate any excess moisture within the surrounding air.
In places such as laundry rooms and basement, where moisture is heavier because of natural conditions or where air conditioning cannot reach, a dehumidifier helps in reducing musty odors and keeping the place cool.
How does it work? Although various units have different effects and features, all dehumidifiers function in the same basic way. In short, the extract moisture from the air, dropping humidity levels and making your home healthier and safer.
In simple words, a dehumidifier takes dampness out of the air by pulling in moist air from one side, moving that air through ice cold tubes that causes the moisture to gather in these tubes and then drip into a pipe or bucket and forcing the dry air out the other side into the room again. This dry air then blends with the moist air making it slightly drier, which in turn is drawn into the unit to become drier again and again.
Types of Dehumidifiers
Following are some of the main types of domestic dehumidifiers for home:
1. Dehumidifying ventilators: This type of dehumidifiers is considered to be an ideal air appliance for attics, basements and certain crawlspaces. It consists of a sensor and an exhaust fan.
The sense works with the fan to create suitable humidity levels for your home.
2. Homemade dehumidifiers: Homemade humidifiers attract moisture out from the air by bags of de-icing salt which are present in the unit. Confined moisture will then be dripped into the below container by the salt.
The salt requires periodic replacement for proper functioning of homemade humidifiers.
3. Whole home dehumidifiers: This type offers appropriate dehumidification coverage for the whole house. This unit can better protect your household items and prevent your house from rust, molds and cracking.
However, most whole home humidifiers are costly and require regular maintenance.
4. Portable dehumidifiers:These humidifiers are great for a specific area. Maybe you only want to dehumidify certain spaces or one room of your home, so in that case, portable dehumidifiers are suitable to remove the moisture and maintain convenient operation.
How to select the right dehumidifier?
Think through these main factors when picking out your dehumidifier:
- The area you need to dehumidify
- The energy routine of the unit
- The method you wish to get rid of the water collected by the dehumidifier
Apart from the above factors, you should also focus on the following:
- Efficiency: The dehumidifiers that consume less wattage will cost less to function. Many dehumidifiers come with an Energy Star rating that shows they are energy-efficient than non-rated units.
- Features:Features make each dehumidifier distinct from other units. One of the most essential features to seek is humidistat. By a humidistat, you can check humidity in the room and fix a level for the machine to automatically retain.
- Design: A great dehumidifier will have wheels that allow you to move the unit without considerable effort.
You can also look for quiet or less noisy dehumidifiers.
Benefits of a room humidifier
There are countless benefits of investing in a room humidifier for your home, workplace or basement. Following are some of the major benefits:
- Stops condensation: Running a room dehumidifier when doing laundry, after a shower, or while cooking can help avert condensation.
- Reduces allergies and irritation: An efficient home dehumidifier reduces allergies and irritations to your body, letting you breathe at ease and feel comfortable in your home.
- Cools down a room: In addition to making damp areas of your home more comfortable and healthier by removing excess humidity, a room dehumidifier also makes you feel cooler in humid and warm climates.
- Reduces energy costs: Another prominent advantage of having a room dehumidifier is, it reduces energy costs because it helps your air conditioner to work more efficiently.
When the air in your surrounding is more humid, the A/Chas to do the work of cooling the surrounding air and eliminating moisture, which means it has to function harder.
With all of the above advantages, it is not surprising that a lot of individuals count on room dehumidifiers to manage at least a certain area of their home-cooling tasks.
Use a humidifier to cool a room: The biggest advantage of this electronic appliance to mankind is that it helps to get rid of excess moisture from the air which makes you feel cooler even in hot and humid temperatures.
For each person, dealing with summer heat is more unpleasant when trying to catch a good night’s sleep. Instead of bearing with the warmer months, get hold of a few appliances to keep your room at a comfortable and cool temperature throughout the day. This means utilizing a dehumidifier, which will not change the temperature of your room but will take out humidity.
As sweaty and sticky humidity can turn a hot day into a nightmare, a dehumidifier is the best option when struggling with uncomfortable room temperatures.
Along with making your room cooler and comfortable, a dehumidifier dries out a room and decreases the possibility for mildew growth.
A room dehumidifier is an excellent household appliance as it is an easy way to cut cost, protect the earth and make your home more comfortable. Cooling down your home will make it healthier and less stuffy.
However, the catch with a dehumidifier is that it calls for the windows to be shut to function effectively. They are also less operative at controlling comfort in high indoor temperatures such as temperature exceeding 25C.
How to choose the right size? One of the most important characteristics to consider when purchasing a dehumidifier is its size. Not its physical size, but its ability and effectiveness at taking out excess moisture.
But if high humidity is just periodic and in certain portions of your house, such as a basement, a portable dehumidifier which is sufficient for a particular area will do the job.
Why buy a dehumidifier? Whether the environment you live is humid or your basement is uncomfortably moist, a dehumidifier can be of great help. Apart from protecting the environment of your home against damaging humidity, a dehumidifier can also improve your personal health.